Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Lots of Laundry - part three

I've been using cloth diapers for almost a year now.

I have a clothesline as of a month ago.  It helps a lot because they dry faster than when I have them all snug together on my drying rack.  I'll be sad when it's too cold outside for drying.  Drying in my basement in the winter takes days.  Yes,  Two days.  I put these diapers on the line at 10:30a.  The covers will be dry by 3p.  The inserts will be dry by 8p, if not earlier.

We did take a couple of cloth diapering breaks.  The month of January was spent trying to get rid of a diaper rash.  I stripped my diapers and she seemed to be happy in the cloth again.

In June we moved to Camp for a month and a half.  I decided I wanted a vacation from diapers.  I was lucky that this coincided with a surge in Huggies coupons.  I got most of them for super-cheap.  After I got caught up with laundry again, it was time for mini-holidays to Grand Haven, Big Star Lake, etc.  I wasn't ready for cloth then yet either.

We started the cloth again last week.  Yep, I took almost 2.5 full months off.  It was a nice break and I enjoyed the smaller amounts of laundry.

My stash has changed a bit.  I know have two BumGenius All-In-Ones sized medium.  I still prefer the (now discontinued) 3.0s, but I got them for a steal.  I'm using disposable wipes exclusively.  It just works better for us.  And, last week we decided to use disposable diapers at night.  I need to stuff them so full at nighttime and it just didn't feel comfortable to me.  I'm really happy with our day/night combination.  It doesn't half to be all or nothing.  I miss the way her clothes fit over disposable diapers though.  They just fit so much better.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Those diapers on the line are too cute. What brand are they? They look like BumGenius, but I didn't think they had that many colors.
Have you ever tried Kawaii? They're pocket diapers that come in both hook&loop and snaps. And about 1/4 the price of all the other brands. Decent reviews too- I think I'll try some out along with Fuzzibunz and Bum Genius.
And hey, no reason to defend yourself on using disposable wipes/disposables at night. It's your life, your baby, your choice! :)