Thursday, January 23, 2014

Nursery Decor

I'm having a hard time coming up with a "theme" for BabyGirl's nursery.  Tillie's was "vintage-y".  Teddy's was "nature-y".  It's weird to me, but since the last two rooms I've done have been after the kids were here, it's hard to come up with something without knowing her personality.  I LOVED both of their rooms, so I want to love this one too.

I'm limited by the budget, which is best described as "spend as little as possible".  If I had no budget, I'd have ordered these Land of Nod strawberry sheets a month ago.  (Which would have been good, since they're now sold out and not even an option anyway.)  I'd get new yellow eyelet curtains and paint the walls, possible a pretty blue, or maybe white with a chair rail.  I'd definitely order this print for her wall.  I think it would all look darling with our yellow jenny lind crib.
Strawberry Nursery

But, that would involve more work that we have time for and definitely more money.  So instead I went to the Pottery Barn Outlet to see what I could find on sale.  Before I went I was leaning towards a yellow, green and lavender color palette.  Well, they didn't have anything that went with that idea.  I ended up with two different sheets. ($7 &$12, woo hoo!)  One is pink and white paisley with birds, the other is a lot of colors with birds, owls and trees.  They alone make this room a lot cheaper because I can reuse a lot of things we already have on hand.
BabyGirl Nursery



Now, where do I go from here?  I'm starting to come around to the green, pink, yellow color palette.  Tillie's nursery was mainly yellow, red, blue, green with a little pink, so it is different while still having the same base of green walls, yellow crib and green curtains.  Tillie had a neutral rug, but I'll be able to "steal" the pink stripe rug she has in her room now since it's a little too pink for a room that Ted will be sharing.  I like how these all go together, but I'm not sure what to do with the rest of the decor.

I spent a lot of time this week pinning possible ideas, but with the sheets I bought, the only "theme" that I can come up with is "Trees & Birds".  While that's fine, it just seems so overdone.  I think every other nursery when I was pregnant with Tillie had an owl theme.  Don't get me wrong, I love owls, but it's just not what I really had in mind.  Here are some of the things I've found, but I definitely don't love it as much as the strawberry idea.
Possibilities?



I know my favorite color is pink, but I didn't set out to have such a pink room for this girl.  I'll be able to use all the colors on her name on the wall(when we decide on one!), so that should help the pink-ness.  Anyone have any other directions to take this?

4 comments:

Laura Ingalls wannabe said...

With the green curtains and yellow crib, it's not going to be overwhelmingly pink, I don't think. I'd shoot for a feminine nature thing. Ted's was more adventurey. I'd go for soft, willowy trees, whimsical flowers, and, like the art you linked, swings and maypoles and gentle wildlife. You could still totally pull some of the strawberry stuff in. Picnics in spring.

Amber said...

The walls are green too, so I think you're right. :)

Unknown said...

I like a tree theme, here's lots of neat tree's http://iheartpears.blogspot.ca/2012/05/tree-wall-art-and-decals-in-nurseries.html

Unknown said...

I'm a total baby nursery geek! In the above link did you see the heart tree, you could go with a tree/heart theme and get this as well. http://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/104485646/baby-footprint-art-personalized-baby?ref=market