Sunday, December 11, 2011

Silk Ring Sling

This summer I wrote about how I lost my ring sling.  Since it had been so long and I didn't think I would ever see that one again I started researching ring slings.  My mom mentioned it as an idea for a Christmas present, so I researched even more.  I decided I wanted a sling one, but I just couldn't decide where to order it from.  I posted on facebook asking for reviews/opinions and my friend Hope suggested that I make my own.  I had considered it in the past, but right after Teddy was born I was at the phase where I was sure I would never have time to sew again.

I thought about it some more, researched patterns and decided to go for it.  I went to Field's and bought some cream silk dupioni, ordered rings from slingrings.com and let it all sit on my kitchen table for a week.  Now we get to the interesting part.

My friend Laura has twins and needed to use a single stroller for an event she was going to to.  She asked if she could use my Graco stroller, and I happily agreed.  It's been in storage in our garage since Tillie was 17 months and I was glad to see it get some use.  I meant to sell it on craigslist this summer to fund my double stroller, but it seemed like too much work at the time.  When I pulled the stroller open, I gasped.  Wouldn't you know it, but my cream and blue ring sling was in the bottom basket!  All I had to do was buy fabric for my new sling and I found my old one.

Well, I still had all the supplies for a new sling so I decided to make it anyway.  I decided on the overlapping pleats for the shoulder and I'm very happy with the way it turned out.  I used my serger to make a rolled hem along the edges so I wouldn't have to hem them all.  If I had to hem all the sides of 2 yards it never would have gotten done.

I even added a decorative stitch so it's extra-fancy!

3 comments:

Hope said...

That is very pretty!

Cohrs Compilations said...

It is pretty! I'm happy you found your sling and great work making one with teddy so young!

Cohrs Compilations said...

It is pretty! I'm happy you found your sling and great work making one with teddy so young!